Tuesday, 2 October 2012

In the Kitchen: And In the Morning, I'm Making Waffles!




Whoever invented the waffle iron needs an award for Inventions That Have Truly Benefited Mankind and Made Breakfast-Time Even More Delicious. Is there anything tastier for breakfast or afternoon tea than a crunchy-on-the-outside-and-fluffy-on-the-inside waffle doused with maple syrup, butter and strawberries? Although ricotta pancakes are pretty awesome too...hmm...this could end up starting a foodie argument...

When my parents gave me a Kambrook Little Chefs Sunny Hunny Waffle Maker for Christmas last year I was super excited. Mainly because waffles are strangely hard to come by in Australia when you're eating out, as are waffle irons to buy so you can make your own. Plus, having travelled around America for a month I had become addicted to them and I needed a way to get a waffle fix at home. Sure, my waffle iron is in the shape of love hearts and is clearly meant for the 3-6 year age group but they're totally cute and take only two minutes to make so I'm sticking with it. It was actually difficult to even find a recipe for waffles that didn't include the instructions "go to local supermarket, buy packet of frozen waffles, defrost, serve". How sad is that? Thankfully I eventually found this awesome recipe for Buttermilk Waffles from a 2005 edition of delicious. magazine on taste.com.au. The original recipe includes poached quinces and cinnamon butter but I just love whipping up the waffle recipe for a special (and super quick) afternoon tea.


Buttermilk Waffles 
by Valli Little


Serves: Up to 8 hungry people

Ingredients: 

2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tsp caster sugar
2 eggs
90 g unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups (435ml) buttermilk
Maple syrup, butter and fresh strawberries to serve

Method:

1. Sift flour, bi-carb soda and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Add caster sugar, eggs, butter and buttermilk, whisking until smooth, then set aside for 10 minutes.

2. Preheat an electric waffle iron. Pour or spoon in enough batter to cover the base of the iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Repeat with remaining batter.

3. Serve with maple syrup, butter, strawberries or ice cream. Apply to face. Try to remember to breathe between mouthfuls.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. They look delicious! Though I must say I'm a smoothie for breakfast kind of girl. :) Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks amazing. (also, totally loving your instructions! "apply to face" hahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool waffle maker... 3-6 year olds my foot!!! Who wouldn't love a heart waffle for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *drooling* its been a while that ive had waffles :) will defo make this one of these days :) can i just say again i am loving that table and chair :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a waffle or a pancake.. mmm. I think the heart waffles are so completely adorable. have a super friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum!! they look sooo good! And I love your teacup too - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love waffles. I think they are good all the time no matter the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, reading this at 11:30pm makes me crave waffles as a midnight snack! I think I need a waffle maker! I found your blog through 'Blogtoberfest' and think your blog is great, I subscribed! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting us, we love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...