There are some beauty products that have managed to transcend time and countless fads to become timeless icons. YSL's Touche Eclat, Revlon's red lipsticks, Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream, Dior's Diorshow Mascara, Chanel No.5 Perfume... these are just a few of the perennial favourites that never go out of fashion or fall out of favour. While these tried-and-tested lovelies rightly deserve their accolades I thought I'd add my own favourite products that I think deserve to be beauty classics too. Sort of like a mixtape of makeup favourites, here are my Greatest Hits:
1. BECCA's Compact Concealer ($58) is the ultimate weapon for covering any possible skin flaw, whether they be raccoon-grade under eye circles or the most epic of blemishes. It's also great for covering scars and birthmarks that you may be self conscious about (even though scars and birthmarks are awesome and should be worn with pride.) Each clever compact comes with two formulations of concealer. One side gives medium cover and the other side provides extra-coverage so you can layer them up or use just one. Use the medium side for larger areas like under the eyes and try the extra coverage side for blemishes and scars that need heavier duty opaque concealment. The concealer also comes in a staggering 37 shades so for those gals who have found it impossible to find a concealer to match their super fair or super dark skin, your prayers have been answered! Totally worth the money as it lasts for ages and because it's one beauty product that really does live up to its reputation.
2. Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturiser with SPF 20 ($59) is a time-stretched girl's best friend. This lightweight foundation can be applied using your fingers in a snap due its easily blendable texture. Its oh-so-easy to apply formulation and light yet buildable coverage make this an all-round foundation winner. It also contains antioxidants to help protect your skin from free radical damage, plus an SPF of 20. Laura Mercier isn't called the queen of foundations for nothing! Be sure to check out her famous primers and translucent powder as well- they're winners too.
3. MAC Lipsticks and Pro Longwear Lipcremes ($36) are some of the best formulated lippies around. Creamy yet long lasting, these lipsticks feel great when you're wearing them and they don't budge if you prep correctly. By this I mean that you start with clean lips, apply the lippy then blot with a tissue, re-apply, then blot and re-apply again. This technique renders any lipstick virtually budge proof. No need for those God-awful two-step long wear lipstick duos! (They really are some of the most unnecessary products around.) Especially lovely is the colour selection available, especially in MAC's limited edition collections. Beth Ditto's Pro Longwear Lip Creme in Dear Diary and Nicki Minaj's Viva Glam shades are my pick for the year. Just be sure to get in quick when you see a limited edition shade that you love because they sell out super fast and I've been disappointed before. My tip is to get in quick by ordering through the MAC online store.
4. Fairy Drops Scandal Queen Mascara ($24) is my new favourite mascara since picking it up at Sephora (a.k.a my spiritual home) in LA last year. This little Japanese wonder is packed with volumising fibres to give you the most super long and fluttery eyelashes imaginable. The patented curved brush also helps to get at the tiniest of lashes while giving you maximum curl at the same time (it works even better after you've curled your lashes with a Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler.) It scores extra points for its pretty packaging and for being free of lots of chemical nasties. Plus it's sweat and water-resistant, yet magically comes off with water in the shower. No wonder the Japanese fashionistas love it so much!
5. Stila Eyeshadows ($29) and Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadows ($50) are the best-of-the-best when it comes to high-quality formulations that deliver superior colour saturation and wear. Stila is known for its amazingly silky eyeshadow formulations that glide on effortlessly and are super easy to blend to perfection (perfect for applying with your fingers!) Bobbi Brown's cream shadows are also easy-peasy to use and will literally stay on all day and all night and well into the next morning. Both continuously release new shades with each season (check out BB's stunning new Blue Moon shade) yet all of the shades are timeless and never date. I recommend Stila's Kitten shade for its ability to look amazing on every skin tone imaginable and match every outfit in your wardrobe. (It really is that good. I promise!)
6. Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy EDP ($99) is my favourite perfume. It combines top notes of wild berries and mandarin with honeysuckle, gardenia and jasmine. Just to make it even more delicious there are the base notes of vanilla, caramel and praline. Drool. Sweet and kind of candy-like but not sickly sweet, this is truly the loveliest scent around. Rounding out second place is Marc Jacob's Lola and Chanel's Mademoiselle perfumes. Tres chic!
7. NARS Super Orgasm Blush ($45) is truly the be-all and end-all of blush shades. If you have been searching for the One that will suit you no matter what your skin tone is, then baby, this is it. Fair skinned or dark, this blush magically makes everyone look amazingly refreshed, pretty and um...like they just had a roll in the hay apparently. The gorgeous combination of classic peach and pink tones with a hint of shimmer make this a universal shade that's simply the prettiest of the bunch. It's also the glittery sister of the original Orgasm shade (which is just as gorgeous) but this one adds a bit of subtle sparkle to your face as well. If sparkly ain't your thing, wear the original. Once you buy this product you will never go back to wearing any other blush shade. Why bother when you've already found perfection?
What are your Greatest Hits when it comes to makeup and fragrance? I'd love to know!
Have a beautiful week!