Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Book Lovin': The Broken Ones by Stephen M. Irwin

via Studio Mela
I am a self confessed book hoarder. I blame it on my parents, who are also book hoarders and seem to have passed the gene on to me and Sarah. But books are a good thing to hoard aren't they? They can take you away to awesome places where magic is real, hobbits and elves exist, heroes prevail over the bad guys and kick arse girls kill demons with just a few kung fu moves. Basically, with books, anything is possible. They're the places we escape to when real life gets a bit tough or perhaps a bit boring. We can live through our favourite characters and pretend to be somewhere adventurous, romantic, hilarious or spine-tingly scary. So I think I'll stick to my book hoarding ways, so I'll always have somewhere wonderful to escape to when I need it.

My love of reading encouraged me to start a run of posts under the title of Book Lovin'. I thought it might be a fun way to show some of the books I've been reading and loved so much that I just had to tell everyone about it! Plus I love to hear other people's book recommendations so if you have a current fave please share it with us!


For the first post I just had to mention the The Broken Ones by Stephen M. Irwin. The novel is a supernatural thriller set in the near future where everyone on earth is haunted by a ghost, whether it be a friend, family member or stranger. No one knows how or why these ghosts suddenly appeared to silently haunt the living, and the world has descended into a chaotic mess reminiscent of the Great Depression (but a way, way creepier version of it).

The protagonist of the story is Detective Oscar Mariani, who is confronted with solving a disturbing case involving a serial killer and the ritualistic murders of young women. To say the least, this isn't your average crime procedural novel! To say any more would ruin the story so I'll just say that this is the best crime and supernatural novel I have read in a long time. It is thoroughly original (which can be very rare these days), genuinely spooky and once you start reading I guarantee you won't want to stop. Seriously- you can hold me to that! I'm currently waiting and hoping that this will be the start of a series...

And to make things even better the novel is set entirely in Brisbane, where Irwin actually lives. It's a lot of fun reading a book where you recognise the locations, especially as our city isn't exactly a popular setting for novels! This is Stephen's second book, his first being The Dead Path (which I just managed to get a hold of, I'll review it in the future!) which is also a supernatural/horror read.

What book/s are you loving right now? Do you like a scary read or something a bit lighter? I'd love to know!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. the plot sounds interesting hmmm. have u read neil gaiman's books? they are sort of supernatural and thriller too. i like books that explores the human psyche with a bit of magic realism thrown in like books by Haruki Murakami, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, etc. your book lovin sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Neil Gaiman is awesome! I love Coraline, it's one of my favourite books. I've never read any by Murakami or Marquez but I'll definitely have to check them out now! Thanks for the recommendations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hoard books, too - I collect hard cover (usually vintage) travel, design, culinary, nautical, aeronautical, mystery and classic literature (all via thrift stores or garage sales). They seem so dignified and usually fuel my love of cooking and wanderlust.

    But, what I like to read is romance or, erm, smut, lol. (Like water For Chocolate... addicting book, anything Bukowski or Nin)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting us, we love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...