Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Oh, The Places You'll Go!


Yesterday I was supposed to write my weekly Makeup Monday post and as you may have seen, I didn't actually get around to writing it. In fact, I've only been posting on the blog around once per week, which is not really great at all. Do you ever get so fixated on doing something that everything else seems to fall by the wayside, or seem too hard to get done along with everything else? I guess that's how I've been for the past month or so. I'm currently in the (exciting, scary) process of creating an online shop and I have been so preoccupied with sorting out all of the business-y, government taxation office-y, business plan-y stuff (which takes three times as long to get done than what I originally thought) that everything else seems to have been neglected. Which is kind of sad. I go to my dashboard and I see how many posts I've missed from fellow bloggers and it feels like I've been away for ages! And missed out on other people's cool, fun goings-on!

Anyways (I swear this post does have an actual point) after reading Wendy's awesome post from last week about happiness being a choice -which is so true, but so easily forgotten sometimes- I thought I'd share a few things that have helped me through some of those negative, feeling-sorry-for-yourself times where nothing seems to be quite working out right. And funnily enough these words of wisdom come from a children's book! Sarah actually has to take total credit for this post because she was the one who pointed out just how amazing and true the messages in Dr Seuss's Oh, The Places You'll Go! are for both kids and adults alike. It really is the best motivational book ever- instead of the typical "everything in life will be perfect" message, this one gives the honest truth: that life has its ups and downs but you'll be able to face them head-on (and to quote the great Doctor):

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed)

I hope these quotes and pictures brighten up your day!


Such a wonderful message!



This is one of my favourite parts of the book- it's the best motivation for doing anything potentially scary in life, I think:


You can get so confused
that you'll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place...

...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a sting of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.

NO!
That's not for you!

Somehow you'll escape
all that waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

With banner flip-flapping,
once more you'll ride high!
Ready for anything under the sky.
Ready because you're that kind of a gal or guy!




I think this book should be required reading for all ages! Do you love this book too, or do you have another favourite that always makes you feel better when you read it?

xoxo Lauren

5 comments:

  1. hi lauren! i have this book plus the classic Cat in the Hat and Horton Hears a Who :) and we don't even have kids in the house.. yet! i do love this book.. so simple and yet so full of wise advice :) have a lovely week ahead! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree... it is such a great little book! I read it to my little man a lot! The "waiting" page scares the crap out of me though.. very scarey in a good way!! :)

    How exciting that you are opening a little online shop! Woo hoo!! It is just so time consuming hey...I'm trying to open one too! My blog is a bit quiet these days too! But I'm nearly there.. life just keeps getting in the way! hmmm... I have to get my skates on! :)

    Good luck with it all xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! Yes, it is definitely more time consuming than it looks to get everything for a shop together isn't it?You'll definitely have to tell me when your shop is open so I can have a look! :)
      xoxo Lauren

      Delete
  3. Omg, this is brilliant! Happy I could motivate you and thankful that you are motivating me as well! I'm buying this book -today-! Seriously. :)

    No worries on trying to keep up with everything, take care of what's most important. The blog will always be here. Btw, the new look is BEAUTIFUL! I am completely smitten with the header!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thank you!!! I love reading your posts about living a happier, healthier life- I totally need all the motivation I can get in that area! :) I'm so glad you like the new look for the blog, I had someone re-design it for me because I definitely couldn't do it myself, I'm terrible at html coding! Yay for graphic designers! :)
    xoxo Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting us, we love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...