Monday, 16 April 2012

Makeup Monday: Miss Fisher's Fabulous Style


Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is without a doubt the most stylish show on television (sorry Mad Men). Think embroidered silk kimonos, fur trimmed coats, velvet evening dresses, sequin trimmed frocks...it's a vintage lover's dream come true!


Based on the super successful book series by Aussie author Kerry Greenwood, the thirteen-part TV series has meticulously re-created the look and feel of 1920's Melbourne.


Phryne (pronounced Fry-nee) Fisher is a fabulously glamorous- yet courageous- private detective with a taste for adventure and a knack for solving mysteries. An advocate for women's rights and society's underdogs, Phryne is like a heroic super-detective with a pearl handled pistol and a killer lipstick shade to boot. 


Miss Fisher is played flawlessly by actor Essie Davis who is literally the embodiment of Phryne. She truly portrays the heroine's pluck, sassiness and sense of humour.

Did I mention that the show also features some very handsome and well dressed men?

The costume department certainly went all out in their efforts to recreate Phryne's 1920's wardrobe. The original outfits are created with sumptuous silks, velvets, furs and prints finished off with plenty of crystal and beaded detailing. And they're all topped off with some seriously amazing hats- I've never been a hat person but now I seriously want to steal Phryne's collection. (And I'll take all of her stunning crystal headpieces too while I'm at it). 


Now that is a vintage fur wrap!

Some stunning brocade fabric made into a winter coat, topped off with matching hat and a fabulous red lip.

The makeup artists have also beautifully recreated the 1920's makeup trends- think flawless skin highlighted with rich red and plum lipsticks (matte, of course), soft grey eyeshadow and a good dose of black eyeliner. This look has truly stood the test of time and still looks just as fabulous on women today as it did back then. Go on, whip out that red lipstick and channel some of Phryne's glamour today!

I seriously need her hat. Right. Now.

You can see Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Friday nights at 8.30pm on ABC. If you can't catch it on TV, watch the episodes on ABC's iView website here. Or get a taste by watching the trailer below!



Have a beautiful week!

xoxo Lauren

15 comments:

  1. What?! I have never heard of this but now I must find it! Hopefully Netflix will have some episodes. (She sure dresses better than Miss Marple, huh) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, she certainly ain't no Marple! Here's a link to ABC's iView- you can watch the whole Miss Fisher series for free!
      http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/drama

      Delete
  2. I just love all that 1920's clothing... I wish I could walk aound wearing all that and looking like her... How much fun being totally gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, I wish I looked that effortlessly glamorous too- even when she's fighting with some random criminal she looks amazing! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link! So, erm, I nominated your blog for another award. Please come check it out when you have time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the series: my Mum's friend had read all the books & told me about it: great costumes, scenery & plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fantastic show, I'd love to get started reading the books too. The costumes are sooo wonderful aren't they? I wish I had some of the pieces in my closet!

      x Lauren

      Delete
  5. I agree, love, love, love the books. It took me an episode or two to adjust to the tv series but I am in love with them all now. Such a high quality production and amazing styling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any idea what brand/colour lipstick Miss Fisher wears during the show. The red lippy is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure of the exact brand the makeup artists used on the show, but MAC have an amazing range of lipsticks that would give you the Phryne look! I would check out the lippie shades in Ruby Woo (a classic matte red loved by Dita Von Teese) and Hang-Up (an awesome 1920's black cherry hue). Hope this helps! :)
      xoxo Lauren

      Delete
  7. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree, the costumes are fabulous - I want them all!!! I love all the fabrics that are used. Will definitely be making those palazzo trousers she wears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the exhibition I saw yesterday of Phryne's costumes at Ripponlea, the newer garments use fake fur.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the exhibition I saw yesterday of Phryne's costumes at Ripponlea, the newer garments use fake fur.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting us, we love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...